9.04.2009

a swimming hole...and unrelated thoughts

I thought she was taking a while to get into the bath.
In our house, Mom is not a big fan of tubs. Something about more of the water ending up on the floor than stays inside the tub walls. But this time, she promised that she wouldn't make a mess. As I was moving through the house, cussing anyone who dared make a mess (because you never know when they might call to show it) , I though it sounded a little quiet. Since I believe she has passed the whole drowning-in-a-bathtub phase, I checked in to what else could keep her so quiet. With no splashing sounds. Found this.

Little weird, bobble-head dogs suctioned to the bottom of the tub and some really big goggles and a snorkle peaking out. Along with her little shoulder. Sidenote: I can't believe how little a shoulder joint can be and still function. When she crawls in bed next to me in the morning in her little tank top, I think ahead to her as an adult. That someday, all the little teeny-tiny parts of her will become big. They will drive a car, graduate from college, hold a bouquet, hold children...I am starting to get sick. The point is, everything about her, minus the attitude, is so little.

And that is good. She can still fit comfortably in the bath tub. And as we transition towards fall and away from public crypto-infested pools, it is nice to know that she and her little friends can still escape to their underwater worlds in our renewed swimming hole. Minus the splashing.

I am also hoping that the presence of goggles and snorkles in the tub will give our home a lived in quality. That stangers will be able to imagine all the fun they can have in this house. We've set the bar high.

No comments: