9.21.2009

bike parts and mended hearts

Yesterday morning, E and I had a good one. (she later referred to it as a discussion, we both know it was a fight) The combination of my being entirely too stubborn, and her being as equally over dramatic made for some real (unnecessary) fireworks. All over a broken bike part. That she was determined to keep around until I finally find it in the back of her closet, a good 2 months down the road, and throw away. She would have never known. However...I am sick of the piles of clutter. Rocks, sticks, pieces of paper, old cards and now, bike parts. I refused. Refused to have it lie around, and walked it out to the garbage. The meltdown followed and continued for a good 15 minutes. Her becoming more dramatic, me becoming more stubborn. We were going nowhere fast. We dried tears, hopped on our bikes and left for school. I told her I loved her and then spent the rest of the day feeling guilty for letting something so lame get me going. I fished the broken fender out of the garbage and along with a new notebook, tucked it in her mailbox for her to find after school. Which she did and thanked me with a giant hug while making sugar cookies. Sugar cookies made from equal parts love and guilt. A while later I found this, placed neatly in my 'mailbox'... It said "Thank-you. Mom I love you." The bottom half of paper was filled with X's and O's. It makes the ridiculous fight over the bike fender almost worth it. About an hour later she asked if I liked her gift and if I REALLY wanted to keep the gloss. Of course I don't, it is never about the gift.

No comments: