-The Wallin's showing up in their brand-spankin' new matching KTM moto gear. I knew at that exact moment, when we weren't even technically underway, that this was going to be a great trip. We threw down 560 miles the first day and were glad when the Federal Agent didn't give Ripp a ticket for passing on a double yellow. We received our first lecture from Brock.
-Lynn's love of her first night camp spot outside of Le Grande, OR. When we arrived at 11 o'clock at night, following a ride up a steep and winding dirt road, Morgan Lake didn't look nearly as dusty and murky as it did at 6 in the morning. Lynn, Brandon, Jake and Brent still swam for a shower, even though they came out dirtier than they went in.
-Brandon in his undies. Again and again. This became regular occurrence.
-Day 2 somewhere outside of Yakima, where the temps were at 100, jumping off a bridge into the American River to cool off. Finding out after Marci jumped that she can't swim and her hubby Brock being the biggest wuss of all. An eight year old jumped quicker than him.
-Already I am questioning the nature of this vacation. Oh wait, that is when Brandon informs me that this no vacation, it's an adventure ride!
-Mt Rainier. Breath-taking, intimidating and snow covered. Followed by a stunning ride into the Seattle area underneath of canopy of evergreens.
-When a fellow adventurer approaches us at a gas station to ask if this is an official Adventure Rider meeting. Who knew this was such a sport? Seattle was his turn around spot on a ride that began in St. Louis. His bike seemed way less equipped and much less comfortable than ours, what a dude!
-Seattle. Its bridges, tunnels and water. Pike's Place, the original Starbuck's and fish and chips overlooking The Puget Sound.
-The La Quitna in Bellevue for having a room at 10 o'clock at night. They didn't the night before when temperatures were so scorching in the Seattle area that locals filled the rooms.
-Our first ferry ride from the Seattle Pier to Bremmerton. Followed by a beautiful ride along the Olympic Coast Highway to Port Angeles. No vampires in the city on this day, but surprisingly cold temps. We eat our way through the wait, and indulge in more fish and chips, onion rings, and hamburgers. All the comfort food you could want when the air is frigid.
-Our second ferry ride from Port Angeles to Victoria is cold. We bundle up in gloves and beanie hats and brave the boat deck for a glimpse of a harbour seal. Brent lays down and sleeps right on the deck next to the railing. One big rock of the boat and he's overboard.
-Victoria, Canada. Our temperatures rise quickly and we end up in t-shirts and flip-flops. We rest our rear ends, walk around an interesting street market, laugh at the shirtless older man (who was eventually joined by Brandon and Ripp) checking out the vitamin water hottie and take some questionable pictures with a large, stuffed moose and a large, twisty tree. Laugh a lot!
-A GORGEOUS ride along coast leading us from Victoria to Schwartz Bay. We drive through lush neighborhoods and I pick out the beachfront home I could only wish to retire in.
-Ferry ride #3 to Vancouver. A birthday celebration (on BC Ferries Celebration boat, no less) that includes singing, cake and a ridiculous pink, sequined hat that I proudly wear for the remainder of the 90 minute ride. A birthday gift by way of a gray whale dorsal fin surfacing a handful of times and a intense, pink sunset that rivals the sparkle of my hat. We take more silly, questionable photos and I think to myself that this is an unforgettable birthday and 'vacation'. I mean, adventure ride.
-Port in Vancouver and take a dangerously fast, night ride (sorry Mom) into the heart of Vancouver where we are trying to catch the 7 million dollar fireworks show in honor of my birthday and BC Day. Get there, turn of motorcycles and witness a firework. Seriously, only one, the last one. Laugh more! I think another lecture from Brock is coming, except he is also driving too fast.
-Regroup and make plans to stop for a hotel for the night. Brent's other wife, Samantha-the GPS navigator, takes us to a hotel where we receive the news that because of the holiday and other events, hotels are full for the next 150 miles. We try the Roach Motel across the street and even they are full. Could it be? People start to look a little worried and I lose my camera, but don't know it.
-We decide to go through customs at 11 o'clock at night, which will eliminate waiting in any lines, and the gentleman questions what the hell we are doing riding this time of night. A motel 2 blocks over the border has vacancy, but we pass it up based on the air-conditioning units in the windows. ??? For the next 3 hours, we search endlessly and remain picky. Full, only two non-smoking rooms (need more, couldn't possibly share), Vern, smells like curry or distracted by what appear to be teeth in the receptionists mouth.
-VERN. We pull into a KOA and are immediately met by Vern, although the smell of alcohol reaches us long before he does. He invites to throw our tent down next to their trailer, offers us a rum and coke, and asks us over to meet his wife and girlfriend. Jake tries to keep the bike upright under Vern's sloppy weight and I receive a much unwanted back rub from Vern. Turn back for support, only to see the motos backing up and cameras being turned on. We tell Vern we'll take a look around and head for the highway ASAP! Laugh a lot more!!!
-Finally admit defeat and end up in our sleeping bags next to the baseball diamond at a local high school in Bellingham, WA. Wake up a short four hours later to a mother deer and her two fluffy bambi's also wondering what we're doing. Realize I have lost my camera. But in the plus column, I'll never forget my 31st birthday and where I slept that night.
-I am totally bummed. Remind myself that it is not about capturing the moments, it is about making the memories. This works for a second, but I admit that I am completely heartbroken. Hold back a lot, but let go of a few tears as we make our way down the road. At our 4,329th gas station stop, Monique and I begin talking and brainstorming. After a few minutes I am able to remember that last pictures I took and where we were at. Google the Roach Motel (Alpine Motor Lodge) and do a cheerleader kick when the man tells Ripp he has it. It gets home two days after we do.
-Begin the day very sleepy. Ripp pretends, or not, to nod off so that I will rub his shoulders and my helmet bumps his a few times as I nod off. We ride into an oven in Winthrop, WA and decide to relax and cool off. We eat, shop for kids and agree to make it 40 miles down the road to Omack where their promises to be a new Best Western waiting for us. It is, and it doesn't disappoint. We rest, shower, eat Mexican food and get a pleasant night sleep.
-The Grand Coulee Dam along the Columbia River and its picture tour across the bridge. We question each other about jumping off this bridge and decide that it isn't nearly hot enough to be that stupid.
-Day five takes us down through a curvy canyon and I tell Ripp that if he doesn't slow down, I will be walking out and we'll be really late getting to Hamilton. I get glimpses of scenes from A River Runs Through It and see why people love to retreat here.
-A few miles south of Hamilton we come to Lake Como and decide to rest here for our last night. Bathe in the lake under a full moon and come out with my hair feeling the softest it has on the entire trip. Curl up next to Ripp in our tent under the evergreens and fall off in to what is the best night sleep on this adventure.
-The final day is a 300 mile push. We eventually part ways in Idaho Falls when the rest of the group wants to change course for a more scenic drive. Ripp and I just want to get home and bomb down the highway. In a couple short hours, Ripp and I are home, clean and cuddling with the kids. Ahhh!
-When we got a minute, we called home to happy children which was a blessing and relief. Thanks to Aunt Wendy and Grandma.
Looking back, there isn't a moment of this trip I would change and I would throw my leg over the bike today and do it all over. Every minute of every mile. I saw some more of the beautiful country I live in and I experienced all of it. A quick plane ride or air-conditioned car would have been nice at times, but I would have missed a lot...but read more than 2 pages of my book. Finally, we made new and better friends in what were familiar faces. And I think I can speak for us all when I say, 'bring on the next set of maps!"
We are Adventure Riders.

2 comments:
Wow! And happy birthday! Our adventure riding this week was not nearly so adventurous. (We biked the Katy Trail as a family.)
Although we did feel like we were on a different planet. I don't know how you could have stayed in the saddle that long. I need tips on building up my endurance!
Wow that sounds super exciting and beautiful! I'm pretty jealous, though I don't know if I have the stamina to be on a bike that long hahaha. I love reading your blogs and finding out all the cool new things you're up to - sounds awesome!
Post a Comment