2.11.2009

10 years

This thought has been popping into my head a lot lately. 10 years. Mostly because I have been wondering and hoping that Ripp surprises me with an awesome vacation this May when we celebrate our 10 years of together-ness. By awesome, I don't mean extravagent or expensive. Althought I would totally go on an expensive and extravagent trip, by awesome, I mean thoughtful. And the handful of people who really know Ripp know that this is completely possible.
And then this morning I made the kids waffles and it happened again. 10 years. And it took on a different meaning.
This waffle maker (it's heart shaped) was a gift on our wedding day. It came from my dear friend Jana who worked for my parents for a good number of years and even thought I don't see her often now, we still exchange Christmas cards (a sign of enduring friendships) and love hearing about each other's families.
10 years. I couldn't help but think it amazing that this kitchen appliance has been with us since the start. It has witnessed (and survived) the awkward newlywed stage, one move, one puppy, two beautiful children and all of our day to day experiences (the good, bad and ugly) that get us to the now. Other waffle makers and 'things' have come and gone over the years, but this dear gem has stayed true and faithful. Same thing with my marriage to Ripp. Lot of things have come and gone and lots of lessons have been learned. But through it all, Ripp and I have remained true and faithful to each other. 10 years.
So instead of gifts, I think we'll just make waffles. And hope that this appliance makes it to 20 years. Because I know Ripp and I will, and I am pretty sure we'll still want to eat waffles from this machine.

3 comments:

Sister Rippstein said...

That is beautifully written! Tomorrow night when I come up yall should go out for like.. breakfast for dinner or something.

The Hoglund's said...

Wow-really 10 years! Time flys when you are married to someone that continues to make you so very happy!

kathywim said...

What a charming tribute to your husband and your life! You have always been profound: "Life is Life!"